When you first visit your vet, it can be hard to remember all the important questions to ask. Here's our checklist and you can download a pdf copy to print and take
- Is this IVDD or might there be another problem?
- If we think it is IVDD, what grade (1-5) of pain response does my dog have?
- What diagnostic tests are needed to confirm this is IVDD? (e.g imaging: myelogram, MRI, CT; any blood tests)
- What are the treatment options? (Conservative and/or Surgical)
- What is the likely success of these treatment options?
- What are the potential side-effects of any drugs that will be prescribed?
- Have you successfully treated dogs with similar symptoms?
- Do we need a referral to a veterinary neurologist?
- How quickly do we need to make a decision on the best course of action?
- What will the different treatment options cost (at least, approximately) and whether your vet offers any payment plans?
An excellent paper was published in the veterinary In Practice Journal in 2019, written by Dr Marianne Dorn. It describes veterinary management of Dachshunds with back
problems, including diagnostic approaches and treatment options. You can download the paper (for personal, educational use only) from Marianne's website.