When you first visit your vet, it can be hard to remember all the important questions to ask. Here's our checklist and you can download a pdf copy to print and take
- Is this IVDD or might there be another problem?
- If we think it is IVDD, what grade (1-5) of pain response does my dog have?
- What diagnostic tests are needed to confirm this is IVDD? (e.g imaging: myelogram, MRI, CT; any blood tests)
- What are the treatment options? (Conservative and/or Surgical)
- What is the likely success of these treatment options?
- What are the potential side-effects of any drugs that will be prescribed?
- Have you successfully treated dogs with similar symptoms?
- Do we need a referral to a veterinary neurologist?
- How quickly do we need to make a decision on the best course of action?
- What will the different treatment options cost (at least, approximately) and whether your vet offers any payment plans?